Diplomate ACVIM (Large Animal Internal Medicine)
- Assistant Professor, Equine Medicine – Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2015 to date
- Post-Doctoral Assistant – Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2014-2015
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2014 (Equine immunology and infectious diseases)
- Masters of Science (MS) – Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2008 (Equine pain management)
- Senior Lecturer, Equine Medicine – University of Pretoria, South Africa, 2008-2011
- Large Animal Internal Medicine Residency – Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2005-2008
- Large Animal Rotating Internship – Washington State University, Pullman, WA2004-2005
- Elanco Animal Health Fellowship – Raleigh, NC, 2002-2003
- Private Veterinary Practice – Argentina, 2000-2002
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) – Universidad Nacional de la Plata, Argentina, 2000
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Large Animal Internal Medicine
The research performed in my laboratory focuses on characterizing the immune responses of horses to different infectious diseases. In particular, we are interested in investigating the role that the individual host (horse) may have in susceptibility to disease. While our main focus currently is the study of Rhodococcus equi and Equine Coronavirus, we also collaborate with other groups at WSU to further characterize the immune response of horses to different conditions, including some that are not infectious such as exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage.
- Sanz MG, Loynachan A, Horohov DW. Rhodococcus-equi hyperimmune plasma decreases pneumonia severity after a randomized experimental challenge of neonatal foals. Vet Record, 2016;178:261-268.
- Pihl TH, Scheepers E, Sanz MG, Goddard A, Page P, Toft, N, Kjelgaard-Hansen M, Andersen PH, Jacobsen S.Acute phase proteins as diagnostic markers in horses with colic. J Vet Emerg Crit Care, 2016;26(5):664-674.
- Pihl TH, Scheepers E, Sanz MG, Goddard A, Page P, Toft N, Andersen PH, Jacobsen S.Influence of disease process and duration on acute phase proteins in serum and peritoneal fluid of horses with colic. J Vet Intern Med, 2015;29(2):651-658.
- Sanz MG, Villarino N, Ferreira-Oliveira A, Horohov DW. VapA-specific IgG(T) ELISA outperforms other VapA-specific IgG subclasses when used to identify foals with Rhodococcus equi pneumonia. Equine Vet J.2015 Mar 15;164(1-2):10-5. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2015.01.004. Epub 2015 Jan 18.